From 1 June, the only costs landlords and agents will be able to charge tenants for will be:
- Utilities and council tax if included within the tenancy.
- A refundable deposit, capped at six weeks’ rent. The cap could be five weeks’ rent for properties where the annual rent is less than £50,000, under an amendment put forward in the House of Lords.
- A refundable holding deposit to reserve the property, capped at one week’s rent.
- Changes to the tenancy requested by the tenant, capped at £50 (or “reasonable costs”).
- Early termination of the tenancy requested by the tenant.
- Defaults by the tenant, such as fines for late rent payments or lost keys. These must be “reasonable costs”, with evidence given in writing by the landlord or agent.